Thursday, May 20, 2010

Quilt = Done = Yay!

I just finished my very first quilt... and I'm naming it: Bunny Boy.

I'm almost amazed that I finished, and in plenty of time to wrap it up for the baby shower it's going to be gifted at.

I have to say, I'm really happy with the way it turned out even though I know there is room for improvement (particularly with the mitered corners on the binding - ack!). 

This quilt by Erica at Craftyblossom was my jumping off point.  I first saw it by google searching for "modern baby quilt" and I was immediately drawn to it.  Later looking around Etsy I was drawn to Craftyblossom's shop and then her blog where I saw the quilt again.  I made some changes, used primary colors and added a border, but I definitely wanted to give credit for the inspiration. 





My college roommate is having her first baby in August and this is for him.  I think it'll be perfect for some tummy-time.  I love the bunny applique, but I will admit that the placement of the applique was determined so that it would best cover an imperfection - don't tell on me.  

And how fun...  I finished this quilt just in time to enter the Blogger's Quilt Festival - Spring 2010 at Amy's Creative Side.




19 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This looks awesome! I'm sure this is just the first of many more to come...it's addicting, this quilting thing! Your friend is sure to treasure this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely start to your quilting life. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your finish! It is so bright and cheery and wonky and I love the wonky!!! May there be many more quilts in your future. You've surely got a knack for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! You are off to a great start!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful quilt work !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, are you sure this is your first? If so, we will have to follow you closely because this could very well be opening the door to a terrific quilt artist. Congratulations, you pulled of a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great baby quilt - colorful and fun - I love the bunny

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is DARLING - I love the way you put it together, it's so happy, and I love the bunny! I can't believe this is your first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great first quilt........too bad you have to give it away, but I'm sure that it will be treasured !
    You did a good job of making the design your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic first quilt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah for you!!! fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful baby quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great first quilt! I'm sure that new baby boy will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely quilt! Her baby will wrapped in lots of love.! i like the bunny with stripes idea. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! I'm going to bookmark it for inspiration for a future quilt. I'm really new to the whole quilting thing also, and I see how people get so addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all the nice feedback... you almost have me blushing. It's been so fun to share my creations here. I can't wait to post the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the bunny shadow! very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  18. darling baby quilt--esp. for a little boy. and the bunny is adorable--good thing you had a boo boo, right?

    ReplyDelete